- Dr. Fieve's Depression Series
- SPF: Sun Protection Films
- A New Way of Eating
- Eat for a Longer Life
- Understanding Breast Cancer
- Eating Smart with Diabetes
- Everything About Bed Bugs
- Nutrition For Weight Loss
- Men's Health Stories
- Boosting Your Nutrition IQ
- Psoriasis: Real Patient Stories
- Healing a Herniated Disc
- Better Food for a Better Life
- Staff Picks
- Rare and Undiagnosed Conditions
- Understanding Acid Reflux
- Attention on ADD
- The Reality of Addiction
- All About Allergies
- Ease Your Anesthesia Anxiety
- Anxiety, Fears and Phobias
- Arthritis: A Doctor's Perspective
- Asthma Answers
- What is Bipolar Disorder?
- Living With a Blood Disorder
- Blood Donation: A Step by Step Guide
- Having High Blood Pressure
- Blood Pressure: High vs Low
- Breast Cancer Survivors and Supporters
- Cholesterol Basics and Management
- Mended Little Hearts: The Families of CHD
- Recovering from a Head Injury
- Heart Health: What is Chronic Angina?
- Preventing Colon Cancer
- Living with Lung Disease: COPD
- What it's Like Living with Crohn's Disease
- The Importance of Dental Health
- Coping with Depression
- Type 1 Diabetes Support Group
- Type 2 Diabetes: Are You at Risk?
- Dieting & Nutrition: What It's Really Like
- Getting to Know Your Ear, Nose & Throat
- How Eating Disorders Start
- Eczema and Everyday Life
- Exercise: How Real People Get Fit
- Eye Health: A Healthy Perspective
- Pain and the Nervous System
- The Facts on Feet
- Let's Talk About Sex
- Pain in the Brain: Headaches and More
- What it Means When Your Heart Skips a Beat
- Surviving a Heart Attack: First-Hand Account
- Heart Surgery Survivors
- Why Hip Replacement Surgery is Popular
- Who is at Risk for Hepatitis?
- Holistic vs. Medical Treatment
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Coping with Embarrassment
- Therapy for Everyday Life
- Lung Cancer Diagnosis and Treatment
- How to Know When it's Kidney Pain
- Mononucleosis: The Kissing Disease
- New Year's Health Resolutions
- Coping with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Ovarian Cysts: Real Women's Stories
- Effects of Aging or Overactive Bladder?
- Put an End to Overeating
- How Parasites Affect You Daily
- Living with Parkinson's Disease
- Severe Amputation & Living as a Paraplegic
- PTSD: Life After Trauma
- Pregnancy Stories from Women Like You
- Prostate Cancer: Physicians and Patients
- Tips to Quit Smoking
- What is Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Schizophrenia in the Real World
- Sex as a Stress Reliever
- Shoulder Pain: When is it Time for Surgery?
- How Sleep Habits Affect Your Health
- Living with a Severe Spine Injury
- How to Begin Spiritual Healing
- How to Manage Stress
- Tourette's: The Person Behind the Syndrome
- Real Life Traumatic Injuries
- Understanding Tuberculosis
- Urology 101
- Women's Health Stories
- Your Guide to Yoga
How do Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes differ, and how does diet factor in to both? Lauren Antonucci, M.S., R.D., C.S.S.D., C.D.E., C.D.N., Owner/Director of Nutrition Energy, NYC, delves deeper into these questions and explains just how diet, weight, and nutrition affect each type.
"Introduction to Diabetes"
"Essentially, Type 1 diabetes is a condition in which someone does not produce any insulin at all. Their pancreatic islet cells are not producing any insulin, they need exogenous or external insulin in order to survive. So they must take injections or be on an insulin pump every day.
In Type 2 diabetes there's a strong genetic component, but much more of an insulin resistance and either a lack of insulin production or lack of ability for insulin to do it's job correctly. It's more progressive over time, it does tend to run in families, and there are lots of other components that go along with it, including people being overweight and metabolic syndrome, which includes high cholesterol, higher body mass index, waist circumference, hypertension, a whole host of things.
The best way for someone with diabetes, whether it's Type 1 or Type 2, to gain control of their disease, and to gain control of their health, is to really gain control of the foods they're taking in."